Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Special Name


Luke: 59 So it was, on the eighth day, that they came to circumcise the child; and they would have called him by the name of his father, Zacharias. 60 His mother answered and said, “No; he shall be called John.”

61 But they said to her, “There is no one among your relatives who is called by this name.” 62 So they made signs to his father—what he would have him called.

63 And he asked for a writing tablet, and wrote, saying, “His name is John.” So they all marveled. 64 Immediately his mouth was opened and his tongue loosed, and he spoke, praising God. 65 Then fear came on all who dwelt around them; and all these sayings were discussed throughout all the hill country of Judea. 66 And all those who heard them kept them in their hearts, saying, “What kind of child will this be?” And the hand of the Lord was with him.

============

When we stopped at a tourist novelty store, I quickly went to the key rings. I was elated to find “my” name hanging on one of the rows. “Wow!” “I am special!” I thought to myself.

  • At one time I thought my earthly name was special only when other people thought it was.
  • At one time I thought the name my parents gave me was to be protected because of the possibility of embarrassing them.
  • At one time I thought I could work hard and someday make a “name” for myself amongst humans.


Zacharias was muted because he did not truly believe GOD would give him and Elizabeth a child. This was no ordinary child, but a child ordained to be the prophet to announce JESUS. GOD named this child for HIS purpose, not just a label to be bragged about by family members.


  • GOD has a special name for me that I cannot wait to learn.
  • GOD has a special name for me that no one else has.
  • GOD has a special name for me that has a meaning and a purpose.


When GOD named me, it was more than a label stamped on a keychain; it was special to HIM and me. HE named me with a purpose and wants me to fulfill this purpose daily.

  • What is the name GOD has given you?
  • Are you seeking to serve GOD in order to find out what your name is?
  • Can you ask GOD to guide you in the purpose HE has for you this day?


No comments:

Post a Comment