Monday, March 26, 2012

Are you jealous yet?

Romans 9: 16 It does not, therefore, depend on human desire or effort, but on God’s mercy. 17 For Scripture says to Pharaoh: “I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.” 18 Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden.

============

Looking at the news I saw another singer who had lived their life reckless meet some sort of demise. With little sympathy I thought “serves them right.” “I mean if I had their money, I would do something good with it!”
  • Jealous is actually anger at GOD’s plan.
  • Envy is actually a form of saying to GOD “YOU did this wrong.”
  • Covetousness is actually a statement to GOD that HIS grace is not sufficient enough and I want more!
Usually when I pout about what someone else has or does, it is because I want what they have. My jealous, envious, covetous heart seeks something that is not mean for me. I whine like a child pointing at the things GOD is trying to keep away from me. Then I throw out a statement, “Haven’t I been good?” as if that is supposed to move GOD to give me what I want.
  • GOD raises up who HE wants to raise up for HIS purpose so I should not be jealous of HIS choice.
  • GOD tears down who HE wants to tear down so I should not be angered if HE chooses me.
  • GOD has mercy on who HE wants to have mercy on so I should not get upset when my enemies prosper.
  • GOD hardens who HE wants to harden but my acts of love toward them are still very important.
One would say, “Well what’s the use? If GOD is going to do what HE is going to do then I don’t have a choice!” GOD has given me choices and will help me along with those choices. If I choose to be greedy then a terrible thing could happen. HE could enable me to be wealthy and harden my heart to never give, and then HIS wrath would be against me and my greed.

“What?! I thought GOD was merciful!” you say. YES, GOD is infinitely merciful, grace-filled and loving, but HE wants me to point my life in HIS direction. You see, GOD is a jealous GOD and wants my complete attention.

  • Is your attention focused on looking for some relationship outside of GOD’s will?
  • Are you looking to obtain more stuff or keep your stuff?
  • Are you jealous of someone who is doing “better” than you?
  • Can you focus on the plan GOD has for you without jealousy, envy or covetousness?

No comments:

Post a Comment