Monday, April 12, 2010

Stop looking at the future, the present is enough.

John 10:27My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. 28I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. 29My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand. 30I and the Father are one."

=================================

I get excited when I read that GOD is holding onto me tightly. This passage of scripture is used as the "assurance" that I can NEVER lose my salvation. Now that I believe that GOD became a man and died for my sins and is now alive as the ruling authority in my life, I will never perish. No one can snatch me out of JESUS' hand.

But why do I worry about the future knowing that I am saved? I had to think about it for a while this morning, then I realized my worries come from focusing on things GOD should be concerned with. GOD owns the past, present and future and HE allows us to live only in the present.

  • When I look at the future, I get worried.
  • When I look at the future, I can only see it through sinful fearful eyes.
  • When I look at the future, I say to GOD "YOU don't have a plan for my life."
  • When I look at the future, I use today's problems and apply them to the future.
  • When I look at the future, I try to take control of my life.
  • When I look at the future, I doubt GOD.

It takes faith to let go of the past and the future. GOD placed me in HIS hand and no one can ever get me out of HIS hand, not even me! This IS my future and that's all I have to worry about. The sins of the past are just where they belong, in the past.

I can now focus on the present. Right now, at this moment in time, as I read this passage, I see that GOD has taken care of everything. I can see GOD's love and how HE controls HIS wonderful plans for me.

How do I know HE has wonderful plans for me? Because I am in HIS hands. There is no safer place.

  • When I am in GOD's hands earthly problems are not really problems.
  • When I am in GOD's hands I can actually see what HE is doing even through trials.
  • When I am in GOD's hands I don't blame HIM or others for what I am going through.
  • When I am in GOD's hands I focus on today, not tomorrow.
  • When I am in GOD's hands I see love not punishment.

When I remain in the present and I see that GOD is working in my life, my fears doubts and worries dissipate. I get back to where HE wants me and I let HIM do what HE does best which is handling HIS wonderful plans for me.

  • Are you worried about your future?
  • What can you do about your future?
  • Can you take a moment each day to focus on what HE is doing for you right now?
  • Has GOD ever rescued you in the past?
  • Will HE continue to rescue you?
  • Why do you depend on your faulty fears and not on GOD's strength?

No comments:

Post a Comment