Friday, April 23, 2010

To "remain" in JESUS means giving up your life.

John 15:9"As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. 10If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love. 11I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. 12My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. 13Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. 14You are my friends if you do what I command. 15I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. 16You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit—fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. 17This is my command: Love each other.

==========================================

I can tell when I get selfish. I get pouty and want my way and then I get angry at GOD or people when I don't get it. Does this pattern sound familiar with you? GOD says HE chose me to serve HIM and HIS humans. But what if I don't want to serve GOD?

When I try to get away from GOD a conflict grows inside me because HE is inside me and I am inside of HIM. When I get selfish I usually go in the direction of sin and the outcome is always bad. Sin leaves me empty and I feel like I can't please GOD, HIS people or myself.

JESUS said "if you want to bear fruit then remain in ME." What does remaining in HIM look like? Well HE says it clearly in this passage. "LOVE each other as I have LOVED you." JESUS lived on earth in the toughest conditions. HE was tempted to use HIS powers yet remained humble to stay human. HE died by the humans HE made and is now alive forgiving HIS humans for not choosing HIM.

GOD doesn't want me to die for the sins of mankind, JESUS did that already. HE just wants me to "not get my sinful way" every once in a while. HE wants me to "die" to my lifestyle of sin just for a moment so that I can point my life to what HIS SON has done for me.

This is difficult because I am selfish. I said I want, what I want, when I want it. JESUS says "give me your life and you will be better off." Now this doesn't mean I have to go and live in a monastery in the mountains. I believe it means taking some small steps to walk toward CHRIST.


  • When I occasionally let go of sin, I can hear GOD clearly.
  • When I occasionally let go of sin, I remain in HIM.
  • When I occasionally let go of sin, I follow what GOD wants me to do.
  • When I occasionally let go of sin, I give instead of receive.
  • When I occasionally let go of sin, I love people I don't like.

The more I "lay down my life" the more fruit I bear. It works opposite too. The more selfish I am, the less fruit I bear. I got so selfish at one point that I was just grateful to be saved and didn't want to bear fruit. I found out later that GOD has different plans for HIS servants.


  • Following CHRIST means following HIS commands, not because I have to, because I want to.
  • Following CHRIST means telling people about HIS SON either through words or actions.
  • Following CHRIST means getting HIS way not my way.
  • Following CHRIST means never being disappointed because I know I'm doing what HE says.

I can tell when I am being selfish, but I can also tell when I am serving GOD. It usually means doing something I don't want to do. It means loving someone I don't like. It means saying an encouraging word when I am discouraged. It means showing grace and mercy when I am "right" and they are wrong. It means giving up my pet sin for a time and telling people about the results.

By giving up my life, I gain an eternal life that is far richer than anyone on this earth. My fruit will last foever.


  • Are you remaining in CHRIST?
  • What are you holding onto that you know is not pleasing to HIM?
  • Do you think you can bear fruit in spite of what you are doing?
  • Is there someone in your life who needs GOD?
    Can you "lay down your life" for that person to see your example?

No comments:

Post a Comment