Friday, February 4, 2011

Deepen my reverence for GOD.

Hebrews 12:  28 Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, 29 for our “God is a consuming fire.”

============

Six NBA championships just proves there is no basketball greater than you know who. At least that’s how I see it because I went to see him play on a number of occasions. I guess you could say I revered his talents, drive and determination.

He inspired me to yell at the television, play armchair coach and pay lots of money to see him perform. Wow! What talent!

  • Human talent is limited.
  • Human talent is flawed.
  • Human talent is fleeting.
  • Human talent can cause envy.

Reverence is a feeling or attitude of deep respect tinged with awe. Awe is an overwhelming feeling of admiration, fear, etc., produced by that which is grand, sublime, extremely powerful, or the like. There are times when I have leveraged my talents to win a competition and people admired my efforts but this was only a moment in time.

  • GOD is all powerful, all knowing, all seeing and ever present.
  • GOD is love on its greatest scale.
  • GOD is mercy and the ultimate forgiver.
  • GOD is judge, jury and executioner of those who oppose HIM or HIS people.

Sometimes I make GOD a little too common.  I blow HIM off during easy times and beg for help when I get in trouble. I cheapen HIS abilities by jumping in with my plan and get disappointed when HE doesn’t follow them. I treat HIM with disrespect when I act apathetic with my “get around to it later” attitude.

  • The creator of the universe deserves my deep respect.
  • The being who has “always been” and will “always be” deserves my immediate attention.
  • The entity who holds Heaven and Hell deserves a healthy fear.

There are times where I have feared humans more than GOD because of their position or title. Fear of their retribution drove me to cater to their every whim. BUT GOD wants HIS position to be higher than that of any human. HE wants me to revere HIM and remain in awe of HIS SON.

GOD is a consuming fire, without the proper respect I could get burned.

  • Do you respect GOD’s position in your life?
  • Do you have a healthy fear of GOD or do you think HE is your pal?
  • Do you demand things from GOD or do you approach HIM with respect?

No comments:

Post a Comment