Thursday, February 17, 2011

Self-ambition is great when used right.

James 3: 14 But if you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it or deny the truth. 15 Such “wisdom” does not come down from heaven but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic. 16 For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice.
 17 But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. 18 Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness.

============

Christmas morning finally arrived. Food was being prepared in the kitchen and the kids were circling the presents. It was time to fellowship and celebrate the birth of our Savior, JESUS who is the CHRIST but not for me. Instead I dialed into the conference call that was scheduled the night before.

There was a serious situation at work that needed to be addressed and I had to participate in the solution. Of course this serious situation was different from the last serious situation so I was justified in being mentally absent from the family, right? I mean I could have gotten a promotion out of this!
  • Self-ambition is great but can be easily misused.
  • Self-ambition can blind me of what is truly important.
  • Self-ambition can sometimes be fueled by jealousy or a desire to have that higher position no matter the cost.
  • Self-ambition can stir up pride that leads me in a direction that says “I don’t need GOD.”
There is nothing wrong with hard work or taking pride in my craft. GOD is pleased when I work hard and live upright. HE doesn’t like when my self-ambition is motivated by greed, lust or envy. Yes, I will get more stuff and a classy title but lose myself in the process.
  • GOD wants me to be motivated by love not lust.
  • GOD wants me to be motivated by grace not greed.
  • GOD wants me to be motivated by mercy not money.
  • GOD wants me to be motivated by consideration not con games.
  • GOD wants me to be motivated by peace not pay dirt.
By telling people that GOD loves me so much that HE died just for me and is now alive, gives them hope and peace. My motivation should be focused on serving others with sincerity instead of being self-serving.

GOD has called me to bring peace to many people. I now take steps in managing a healthy life with CHRIST focused on “sowing” the right things.
  • Are you ambitious?
  • Can you focus some of your energy on GOD today?
  • Can you be driven and self-motivated in helping someone today?

No comments:

Post a Comment