Monday, October 10, 2011

GOD doesn’t have poison ears!

John 4: 27 Just then his disciples returned and were surprised to find him talking with a woman. But no one asked, “What do you want?” or “Why are you talking with her?”
============

“Hello, how is your day going?” someone said to me. But this wasn’t any old “someone,” it was a very crafty person who had said some nasty things in the past. “I wonder what they meant by that?” I thought to myself. For the rest of the day I went around with my guards higher than ever. Everyone was a suspect and every word was scrutinized.
  • When I have been hurt poison can enter my heart.
  • When my heart has poison in it then my tongue will produce venom.
  • When my heart has poison in it then my ears listen for poison.
Some people just can’t do or say anything right. Ask my family and they will tell you! When my ears are listening for something poison I will find it. I guess it stems from being a leader in a poisonous environment. Or perhaps it comes from hurt from the past. Maybe it’s just that the person is taking a dig at me, either way, my ears will pick up the words and the fight is on.
  • GOD wants me to be ready to show grace at all times otherwise I won’t be shown grace.
  • GOD wants me to listen to people without my prejudice filters.
  • GOD wants me to hear “beyond” the words that are said so that I can pray earnestly for that person.
Forgiveness, grace and mercy don’t come easily from me. When I have my mind set that the “opposition” is a schemer and not worth my time, I put my defense mechanism up and capture their words as being poison. Sometimes I’m right and sometimes I’m wrong isn’t good enough for GOD.

JESUS listened to the Samaritan woman without the prejudice of race or gender. HE knew she was a sinner and listened with the intent to heal her no matter what she said. That’s hard for me to do, but quite possible. Let “it” go or pray or just ignore the statement while throwing the harmful words into the “forget about it” pile are ways to overcome my judgmental ears.

I must view the person like GOD views them, namely “forgiven.” Yes I should be wise as serpents BUT GOD also says be harmless as doves.
  • Are you blaming someone?
  • Can “that” person say or do anything right?
  • Are you quick to judge some people because of your hurt?
  • Won’t you let your guards down a little to see the other person needs GOD as much as you?
  • Can you ask GOD to clean your heart so your words and “thoughts” will be pure?

No comments:

Post a Comment