Thursday, October 6, 2011

Is JESUS greater than me?

John 3: 30 He must become greater; I must become less.”

============

Tired of the club scene and finally coming to my senses, I went back to church and even became a Sunday school teacher. I spent hours the night before preparing my lesson.  I gave my message to the somewhat attentive teens.

Then I asked “how did I do?” One of them replied “You did very well, but I didn’t understand what you were talking about at all.” Wait! was that a bruise to my ego?
  • In the past I have gone to church because that’s what my parents told me to do.
  • In the past I prayed and thought to myself “Aren’t I just a good person? Look at me praying!”
  • In the past I wanted to have a title in church or be part of some group.
  • In the past I desired accolades from humans for all the great service “I” was doing.

I didn’t know I was bragging about my service but somehow my “good” nature would find its way into conversations. Someone may have said “Could you pass the milk?” and my reply would have been “Sure, I don’t drink dairy when I go on missions trips because I could get sick.”

GOD doesn’t need another person bragging about themselves, HE already has enough of those. In fact when I brag about my service, even inadvertently, I am secretly seeking all eyes on me. No wonder GOD wants me to give in secret, pray in secret and serve in secret.

GOD wants all eyes on the one and only SON, the savior of all mankind. It’s not about my job nor is it about my finances even though GOD is concerned about these things. It’s all about what JESUS has done for me. HE wants me to point my entire life, good and bad, toward HIM.
  • I need to point people to praise GOD instead of looking at what I’m doing.
  • I need to have others praise GOD especially when I am going through trials.
  • I need to tell people to praise GOD because HE is much greater than me.
Awards and accolades are nice! I have received a lot of them throughout the years. But they pale in comparison to heavenly rewards GOD has for me. HE gives them to me when I truly do an act of humility specifically for HIM. GOD must come first in my life and everything else is secondary.
  • Are you vying for attention by telling everyone your “pity” story?
  • Are you accidentally bragging about your “service?”
  • Can you serve GOD without being in front of the crowd for a change?
  • Will you forget seeking “self-assurance” from humans for once and do something for GOD in secret?

No comments:

Post a Comment