Matthew 16: 5 When they went across the lake, the disciples forgot to take bread. 6 “Be careful,” Jesus said to them. “Be on your guard against the yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees.”
7 They discussed this among themselves and said, “It is because we didn’t bring any bread.”
8 Aware of their discussion, Jesus asked, “You of little faith, why are you talking among yourselves about having no bread? 9 Do you still not understand? Don’t you remember the five loaves for the five thousand, and how many basketfuls you gathered? 10 Or the seven loaves for the four thousand, and how many basketfuls you gathered? 11 How is it you don’t understand that I was not talking to you about bread? But be on your guard against the yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees.” 12 Then they understood that he was not telling them to guard against the yeast used in bread, but against the teaching of the Pharisees and Sadducees.
“Maybe people should use a pink envelope” I thought to myself as I dreamt of ways to distinguish the collection for the parking lot. It would require teaching as the collection was already complicated. But this was necessary!
- There were times I thought of rules for participating in church.
- There were times I dreamt of ways to “easily” follow the rules.
- There were times I believed that more rules meant more order.
When I look back on my church tenure I notice a soulless march towards rules and regulations. I mean, I “had” to be in church and I “had” to give and I “had” to sing and I “had” to pray. There could be no deviations from the schedule, structure, dress or tone in order to fit in. BUT GOD wants me to act different.
- GOD wants me to follow HIS teachings, not the soulless teachings of man.
- GOD wants me to test every word that is being said to hear if GOD is in the words rather than man.
- GOD wants me to teach from HIS word, not from sinful, efficient ideas.
Having needs as a church is not the sin, but sometimes I can focus a little too much on the church building or group and not enough on GOD and HIS flock. I find myself name dropping the church name rather than JESUS’ name. GOD wants me to be part of the church of JESUS which could include every local gathering if they believe.
- Are you proud of your church?
- Do you name drop your church name more than JESUS’ name?
- Can you stop coming up with more church rules and teach GOD’s words of love?