Friday, September 6, 2013

Will I do “anything” for money?


Numbers 22: 15 Then Balak sent other princes. They were more important than the first ones. And there were more of them. 16 They came to Balaam. They said,
“Balak, the son of Zippor, says, ‘Don’t let anything keep you from coming to me. 17 I’ll make you very rich. I’ll do anything you say. Come. Put a curse on those people for me.’”

18 But Balaam gave them his answer. He said, “Balak could give me his palace filled with silver and gold. Even then, I still couldn’t do anything at all that goes beyond what the Lord my God commands.

============

Selling drugs or stealing never crossed my mind. I always felt hard work was the key to amassing wealth. I started in corporate with a prayer asking for “success.” Along the way I would pray here and there but as I got promoted higher and higher, my prayers became shorter and more absent.

Soon my attendance at church or serving events became sparse. I mean I had a lot of responsibility and I have to make this pile of money. Hard work isn’t bad is it?

·         Seeking money may make me forget GOD’s commands.
·         Seeking money may make me forget GOD wants me to rest on occasion.
·         Seeking money may make me forget GOD owns everything anyway so I should not worry about finances.


GOD feeds the sparrows and HE watches over me. HE doesn’t want me so desperate for money that I will compromise my relationship with worshipping HIM and serving those HE sends me to. HE wants me to be able to say “No” even if the money seems great.

How do I know this? I recently took an assignment that pushed away any quiet minute I could spend with GOD. This troubled my SPIRIT and left me with no rest. I was paid well but had no peace. This passage reminds me that no amount of money is worth losing my peace with GOD.

·         Are you losing sleep trying to make money?
·         Have your financial worries piled up so high that you have forgotten GOD owns everything?
·         Will you ask GOD what HE wants you to do or say?
·         Can you stop compromising your beliefs to follow what GOD will have you do today?


No comments:

Post a Comment