Monday, February 15, 2010

Giving "is" CHRIST-like.

Mark 12:41Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. 42But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins,worth only a fraction of a penny. 43Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, "I tell you the truth, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. 44They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on."

=====================================

Giving is something I have struggled with over the years. I remember when I thought that giving meant putting that ONE dollar bill in the tray. I was raised like many to give out of habit, probably not at any fault to my parents.

When the offering would come around in church it was time to give my dollar almost like it was a toll or a ticket to get into heaven. I heard many sermons by, what I thought were, some shifty pastors who desired to line their pockets. They drove the best cars, had dinners in their honor and never mentioned a person who was down and out.

I carried this chip on my shoulder looking at them and never asked, "what about me?" "Is GOD pleased with my giving?" I ran into a church that truly challenged me to grow. In my growth I began reading the Bible. I read this story years ago and I felt challenged to give more.

I immediately reached in my wallet and gave FIVE dollars. I had increased the "toll" payment and it felt good. I went for a while paying my five dollars and GOD blessed me to get raises and promotions. I was increasing in wealth and never increasing in giving.

Then I ran into a couple who gave thousands annually, yet lived right around the corner from me. I ran into a trumpet player and his family and they gave from the "first dollars" they earned and they each gave thousands.

Let's see... five dollars times 52 weeks brings my total to a grand $260. Then I read the scripture again. I read the woman gave everything she had. "Wow, I'm not giving very much", I thought to myself. So, I increased the "toll" payment to ten dollars, then twenty five then fifty.

Unfortunately I was still churchy focused, trying to meet some budget or keep lights on or build a building to sit in. The hole in my heart remained wide until I met people who were truly down and out. I gave to them and fed them and it felt great.

The hole in my heart was filled up for a minute. After many major increases in salary, I began to give ten percent. It was easy to do because I was so blessed. Giving became an act of "taxes" versus giving to GOD.

When my position was eliminated, I had to choose. Do I keep giving or not? I was so scared to give then, BUT GOD said HE would sustain me and HE did. My eyes were opened to people who need help. They need finances and help all over.

I now give to "people" through the church. I pray my finances makes it to specific people or groups and I truly enjoy handing money to people in need. I wish I had more to give now, because so many are hurting. GOD has given me the right amount to keep me humble while giving.

  • Do you feel GOD owes you something when you give?
  • Are you giving to help GOD's people?
  • Have you helped specific people yourself?
  • Do you enjoy giving?
  • Is there someone you can give something to today?

No comments:

Post a Comment