Friday, February 5, 2010

God is calling you to GO!

Matthew 28:16Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. 17When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. 18Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

====================================


I get excited when I hear words from GOD. HE challenges HIS disciples to GO to all nations. I guess HE doesn't ever want me to get comfortable until every human on the planet agrees that HE cam to die for the sins of humans.

I used to say "Why would anyone go to another country? We have plenty of issues here." I said that until GOD challenged me to "go." My first trip was to the country of Zimbabwe. I heard many sermons challenging people to go and serve when it finally hit me, this sermon is talking to me!

I accepted the calling and immediately got terrified. I had seen images of "Africa" on TV. The baby with the fly on it's lip and the kids with their large stomachs soon filled my mind with fear. "What will I eat? What will I drink?" Then they told me I need to take Malaria pills and pack certain items. "What have I got myself into?" I thought to myself.

We went to hold a conference and distribute farm equipment as well as material for spreading GOD's message. I read over my notes on the plane because 17 hours gives plenty of time for reading.

We were greeted by smiling faces in a city that looked a lot like Atlanta. Skyscrapers, taxi's, food chains. "Hey, where are the flies and babies with big stomachs and cattle sitting on the food?", I thought to myself. We held the conference and I just knew I was going to teach these people what I knew. I mean they have nothing and I have everything. Right? Wrong!

A man came up to me and said he walked 20 miles to hear me speak. Okay, how humbling can this trip get? We went to places where people had nothing and they sang and praised GOD louder and longer than I had ever done in my life. Yes, it can get that humbling.

I left Zimbabwe understanding that GOD is much bigger that I had imagined. My perspective of "problems" changed when I sat side by side people who had nothing but praise. I thought about my posh life, refrigerated food, air conditioned homes and cable TV and I wonder, why am I miserable and they are so happy?

I remembered the person who walked 20 miles to hear me and it became clear. He had a sense of purpose. He accepted the calling to "go" and nothing would stop him. I wonder what he is doing now.

GOD has called us to "go, Make disciples, Baptize, and Teach." I know we all have excuses that are quite legitimate like "I'm too old, or too young or too broke or too married or too scared", BUT GOD wants us to be concerned about every human.

HE said "HE would be with us to the end of the age" so I guess I shouldn't fear going. I have since gone to a few other places around the world and I see the same thing, people who need GOD.

  • Are you called to "Go?"
  • Have you tried to get out of your comfort zone and tell someone about CHRIST in you town?
  • If you do go, will you have the right attitude to serve and to be served?
  • Is your "walk" boring?

No comments:

Post a Comment