Monday, March 29, 2010

Less is "more."

John 3:26They came to John and said to him, "Rabbi, that man who was with you on the other side of the Jordan—the one you testified about—well, he is baptizing, and everyone is going to him."

27To this John replied, "A man can receive only what is given him from heaven. 28You yourselves can testify that I said, 'I am not the Christ but am sent ahead of him.' 29The bride belongs to the bridegroom. The friend who attends the bridegroom waits and listens for him, and is full of joy when he hears the bridegroom's voice. That joy is mine, and it is now complete. 30He must become greater; I must become less.

31"The one who comes from above is above all; the one who is from the earth belongs to the earth, and speaks as one from the earth. The one who comes from heaven is above all. 32He testifies to what he has seen and heard, but no one accepts his testimony. 33The man who has accepted it has certified that God is truthful. 34For the one whom God has sent speaks the words of God, for God gives the Spirit without limit. 35The Father loves the Son and has placed everything in his hands. 36Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him."

=====================================

I love feeling special. I received awards for academic honors in school, awards for helping companies make more money and awards for community service. At home I get fathers day, birthday, anniversary and Christmas gifts as a token from my family that they honor me and it feels great.

This kind of recognition only lasts a little while. "You are only as good as the last thing you have done" is the mentality that awards and recognition is built on. In other words an award or gift is only a point in time. The same people who reward you and shower you with gifts may be the people who question you or doubt your abilities.

John says "HE must become greater; I must become less." The "HE" in that sentence is JESUS. John knew that he had a specific role on this earth and that was to announce the arrival of the world's SAVIOR. He was seen as being very special to humans because he did not fall to the cravings of mankind.

John could care less about material things or lust for power. His entire life was focused on preaching about CHRIST. He had a huge following but always realized that once JESUS arrived on the scene it's time to back off and let HIM get the spotlight.

I like to control things and stick my hand in where I shouldn't. I want to get credit for someone's salvation or growth. Sometimes in my zeal for controlling the HOLY SPIRIT, I say the wrong things to people that turn them off to GOD rather than drawing them to HIM.

After making this mistake a number of times I realize that it is GOD who changes the heart, not me! Once someone claims to be saved by CHRIST, it is my job to teach, but is it GOD's job to change the person into what HE wants them to become.

My job is to keep people from rejecting who JESUS is. In the last verse it is important to know that "rejection of CHRIST sends people to hell" not lack of knowledge of HIM. Once I am blessed with helping a person understand CHRIST, then HE must increase in their life and I must decrease.

  • Are you trying to control someone's growth?
  • Do you see flaws in other humans or do you see what GOD sees?
  • Are you hitting people with the Bible or are you hitting them with love?
  • Do you like to receive recognition from humans?
  • Whose job is it to grow people, yours or GOD's?

No comments:

Post a Comment