Wednesday, June 9, 2010

How to have a clear conscience.

Acts 24:14However, I admit that I worship the God of our fathers as a follower of the Way, which they call a sect. I believe everything that agrees with the Law and that is written in the Prophets, 15and I have the same hope in God as these men, that there will be a resurrection of both the righteous and the wicked. 16So I strive always to keep my conscience clear before God and man.


 
=====================
 
Which do I follow, the Law or Grace? This is a confusing question to me. When I read the Old Testament, I see there are over 600+ laws to follow. There are obvious laws like "Do not put any god before ME" or "Do not kill" or "Do not commit adultery."

 
Then there are laws I don't keep like touching a dead animal and the purification laws. I even work on the Sabbath which is controversially on Saturday, yet I go to Church on Sunday.

 
Confused? Well I get confused at times. I have to read the Bible every day to understand GOD and even then I don't have a grasp of what or who HE really is. I can best explain it this way:
  • GOD made rules for me, they are HIS rules. 
  • GOD loves me, so HE made the rules for safety and not as a test. 
  • GOD forgives my sins because I believe in HIS SON, yet HE did not do away with the law. 

GOD has a special relationship with each human HE made, so I shouldn’t go out and rob and kill people. While I would be forgiven for my sins, it's more complicated than that.

  • GOD is pure Love and there is no sin in HIM. 
  • GOD hates sin and wants no part of it. 
  • GOD knows I can't control myself, so HE died in my place. 
  • GOD rose from the dead and still hates sin. 

GOD says through Paul that one day everyone will rise from the dead. Some people will rise and be eternally separated from GOD and some will rise and be with HIM forever. Now what does this have to do with sin?

  • When I choose to do wrong I blame GOD or everyone else when the outcome is bad. 
  • When I choose to do wrong it is difficult for me to see GOD’s love. 
  • When I choose to do wrong I cannot serve GOD well. 

Paul says that he “strives to keep his conscience clear.” This means he follows grace and he tries his best to keep the law. The law cannot save me or keep me saved, but I have no guilt when I follow the law. In fact I feel wonderful that I’m serving GOD who saved me!
  • Are you knowingly doing wrong?
  • Is your conscience clear?
  • Does your life represent a person who has been saved by GOD?

No comments:

Post a Comment