Thursday, July 29, 2010

How to get back at your enemies!

Romans 12:14 Bless those who persecute you. Don’t curse them; pray that God will bless them. 15 Be happy with those who are happy, and weep with those who weep. 16 Live in harmony with each other. Don’t be too proud to enjoy the company of ordinary people. And don’t think you know it all!

 
17 Never pay back evil with more evil. Do things in such a way that everyone can see you are honorable. 18 Do all that you can to live in peace with everyone.

 
19 Dear friends, never take revenge. Leave that to the righteous anger of God. For the Scriptures say,
“I will take revenge;
I will pay them back,”
says the LORD.

 
20 Instead,
“If your enemies are hungry, feed them.
If they are thirsty, give them something to drink.

 In doing this, you will heap
burning coals of shame on their heads.”

 
21 Don’t let evil conquer you, but conquer evil by doing good.

 
====================

When someone does something to me or tries to take advantage of me, I spring into action. If it’s a fight they want then it’s a fight their going to get! Well that’s how it went in my mind.

 
Bullies were not the norm in my neighborhood, but on occasion I would run into them. Sometimes they would pick on me probably because I was an easy target. After college I was tired of being picked on. Instead of being intimidated, I lifted weights and “bulked up.”

 
After befriending the largest mugs in the gym I thought I was secure. We went out to a bar (gasp, yes I went to a bar) and the largest thugs would try to take us on even though we weren’t looking for trouble. My plan was on the wrong track. 
  • GOD’s strength is far greater than any human.
  • GOD owns revenge and it’s not mine to take it.
  • GOD can protect me when I have faith in HIM.

Bullies are still around me as an adult but their faces look different. Instead of the lonesome thug in the neighborhood, they are the irate boss who flies off the handle or the pushy parent at a child’s sporting event or the impatient driver who rides bumpers.  
  • GOD wants me to love the irritable because I can be an irritant.
  • GOD wants me to pray for my enemy because sometimes I make enemies.
  • GOD wants me to wish my enemies “better than good” so HIS grace will shine on them further.
  • GOD wants me to throw my anger away because HE is not stupid and is keeping track of their ills.

 Revenge is the LORD’s. HE will take matters in HIS own hands and I feel sorry for the person on the receiving side of HIS wrath! 
  • Do you have an enemy?
  • Did someone do something to you?
  • Who can harm the person more, you or GOD?
  • Can you let your wrath go and let GOD deal with the person?
  • Can you demonstrate love as an “act” even though you don’t feel like it?

No comments:

Post a Comment