Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Appreciate what I bring to the table.

Romans 12: 3For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you. 4Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, 5so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others.


 
6We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. 7If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; 8if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully.

 
===================================

Feeling special is something I crave. When my skills and abilities are highlighted by others and I receive compliments, it makes me work harder. In fact in many instances, I became the “best” at what I did, or at least in my mind I was.

 
Being the “best” gave me a false sense of security that I could downplay someone else’s skills and achievements. Each time I received a compliment for the things I did, my head would get bigger and soon there was no room for others.

 
  • When I appreciate different people, I get better ideas.
  • When I appreciate new ways of doing things, I get better results.
  • When I appreciate another person’s skills, I can focus on my responsibilities.

 
GOD made a variety of humans each equipped with talents, skills, abilities and gifts. HE is pleased with each of HIS creations and desires that I appreciate people the same way HE does.

 
Each complaint I have for a family member, neighbor or coworker is noted by GOD on my account not theirs. When I complain about what someone is doing or “not doing” for GOD, HE doesn’t hear my complaint. HE would rather see me trying to work together with those who are tough to get along with.

 
  • Knowing my skills is important so I can contribute to bringing people to GOD’s kingdom.
  • Knowing my abilities keeps me from trying to “work” my way into heaven.
  • Knowing my talents enables me to praise GOD who gave them to me.
  • Knowing my gifts enables me to take steps to help others.

 
GOD made me the way HE wanted to. HE gave me spiritual gifts to be used to bring HIM glory. The more I use them on HIM the more blessed I will be.

 
  • Do you know your talents?
  • What is your purpose?
  • Can you appreciate other people and their gifts?
  • What or who are you trying to control with your talents?

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment