Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Are you “willing” to give?

11Now finish the work, so that your eager willingness to do it may be matched by your completion of it, according to your means. 12For if the willingness is there, the gift is acceptable according to what one has, not according to what he does not have.
 
===============

Music played as everyone quieted their hearts. “Clink” was the sound that broke through the calming tone of the instruments. This was the sound of “giving” at my church when I was a child. We didn’t have much so change was all that we could give.

 
Then one day I was able to give a dollar! I felt proud, but it was far less than ten percent of my earnings. After years of giving that same dollar, I felt the need to give more. “What would be ultra generous?” I asked myself. “I know… five dollars!” This too was a far cry from I had or was making.
  • Generosity means giving in spite of having.
  • Generous people do not look to “get” anything for their giving.
  • Money is viewed as a thing to distribute not as a savior of problems to the generous.

I am hearing more and more stories of how people are becoming generous during these tough economic times. People are giving their time instead of money because that’s all they have. I remember my parents opening their home up to many relatives and strangers for the sole purpose of helping them.
  • My giving may have to be creative.
  • My giving needs to be merciful.
  • My giving needs to be plenty based on what GOD has blessed me with.
  • My giving needs to be out of willingness not obligation.

The funny thing about GOD is HE doesn’t need my money. HE actually doesn’t want my money; rather HE wants my willing “generous” heart.
  • When I give to HIS humans, HE is pleased with my gift.
  • When I give to someone in need they can see GOD and not me.
  • When I give without judging, then GOD sees me and blesses me with more.

I didn’t believe that GOD would ever bless me with the way HE has. I mean when I started “really giving” HE blessed me thoroughly! I’m not saying that if you give then it will automatically, proportionately come back to you especially if your attitude is not right. But I am saying that if you are “generous” then GOD will be “generous” with you!
  • Do you have a generous heart?
  • Do you feel upset that you don’t have enough money for “things” or giving?
  • Is there someone you can give to today?
  • Can you be creative in your giving?
  • Can you open your house up and give someone a meal?

No comments:

Post a Comment