Tuesday, December 28, 2010

I don’t think I like that sermon!

2 Timothy 4: 3 For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. 4 They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths. 5 But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry.

============

Driving down each street I noticed signs and marquis advertising clever sermons from a number of churches. We were looking for a church that “fit our needs.” My criteria was a large group that had many programs for my kids to learn the Bible, coffee bar, comfy seats, and a cool message that I could hear every Sunday. Sounds nice, right?

But there was something missing from “my criteria” namely “my desire” to learn about GOD for the purpose of being trained to teach others. I was far too busy for that! I mean, I travelled ever week and barely saw my family. I just wanted to go to church, listen to a man tell me I’m wrong “a little” and live my life the way I want to live.
  • In the last days I will want church to be a self-help group instead of learning about JESUS.
  • In the last days I will want sermons to be preached about growing the congregation but not stretching me to grow.
  • In the last days I will demand the preacher to preach what I want to hear, not what I’m supposed to hear.
So many boards and congregations are steering pastors to preach about marriages and families in a therapeutic way which seems to be a nice thing to do. BUT GOD wants me to see a much larger picture of HIM.
  • GOD wants me to know the Earth and surrounding solar system as far as the eye can see is cursed.
  • GOD wants me to know I am cursed at birth just like every other human except one.
  • GOD wants me to know HE made a way to salvation by volunteering to take my punishment.
  • GOD wants me to preach or teach others not to reject JESUS as the only savior.
Well, that sounds simple enough doesn’t it? Then why are there so many churches and one Bible? Why are some churches tied to politics and others tied to wealth? Why are races and languages separated? The only reason I could find was “me.” I am the barrier when it comes to hearing GOD, not my church.

When I stop seeking GOD “my way” and begin listening to “sound doctrine” then I will hear sermons that encourage me, rebuke me and grow me for the purpose of growing others to believe in JESUS as the one and only savior.
  • Are you reading the Bible for your own growth?
  • Are you seeking for things to be “better” in your life or can GOD do what HE wants to with the life HE gave you?
  • Is GOD supreme in your life and can you praise HIM through trials?
  • Do you grade sermons or are you preparing yourself to teach or preach to people GOD has delivered to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment