Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Ashamed of GOD

2 Timothy 1:  6 For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands. 7 For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline. 8 So do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord or of me his prisoner. Rather, join with me in suffering for the gospel, by the power of God.

============

Standing in a bar felt strange to me this time. While the surroundings were familiar, I felt out of place. I had rededicated my life to following CHRIST and wanted to live a life pleasing to HIM. I just didn’t know it was going to be this hard. I was single and just looking to hang out with some friends.

Flirty drunk women approached me. “Of course now they approach me when I’m trying to follow GOD! Where were they when I wasn’t thinking about GOD and serving HIM?” I actually was speechless because I was ashamed of telling them why I wasn’t getting drunk or flirting. I mean, what will the guys think about me?
  • Peer pressure says it’s alright to sin and weird to serve GOD.
  • Peer pressure lets others feel great about their sins and leaves me miserable in mine.
  • Peer pressure can get out of hand quickly escalating my sin into areas that are against GOD.
God wants me to follow HIM without being ashamed of HIM or HIS ways.  I must admit to the logical mind GOD is strange. HE made humans build an ark, march around a city, blow horns to knock it down and walk around naked just to prove HE is GOD and we are powerless.

Nowadays it’s strange to mention the forces of evil, Hell or Satan. BUT GOD wants something different from me.
  • GOD wants me to “be bold” not timid about telling people of the great news about JESUS.
  • HE wants me to show “love” in a world of lust.
  • GOD wants me to have “power” over my sin nature.
  • He wants me to exercise “self-discipline” to control myself during temptation.
There have been many times I have been ashamed of GOD. When it seems like the crowd is having fun or making more money or buying more stuff, I get angry at GOD and ask “why can’t I have those lustful things?” Well I really don’t ask “that” question, but I question HIM just the same.

GOD answers, “I love you far more than the things of this world. Focus on ME and you will never go wrong.”
  • Are you ashamed of GOD and HIS ways?
  • Do you have a plan that seems to be different than GOD’s plan?
  • Does GOD have you doing something weird that no one can understand but HIM and you?
  • Can you be “BOLD” today and tell others about HIS SON?

No comments:

Post a Comment