Friday, December 10, 2010

Will someone please get rid of “that” pastor!

1 Timothy 3:  1 This is a trustworthy saying: “If someone aspires to be an elder, he desires an honorable position.” 2 So an elder must be a man whose life is above reproach. He must be faithful to his wife. He must exercise self-control, live wisely, and have a good reputation. He must enjoy having guests in his home, and he must be able to teach.

 3 He must not be a heavy drinker or be violent. He must be gentle, not quarrelsome, and not love money. 4 He must manage his own family well, having children who respect and obey him. 5 For if a man cannot manage his own household, how can he take care of God’s church?

 6 An elder must not be a new believer, because he might become proud, and the devil would cause him to fall. 7 Also, people outside the church must speak well of him so that he will not be disgraced and fall into the devil’s trap.

============

After waking up from my single life night at the club, I decided to go to church for a change. I put on my Sunday duds and thought “which church should I go to today?” One church was boring, empty and full of “old” people. “Nah” not there… how about the church with the big crowd and nice choir? “Yeah that’s the one for me!”

When I sat down, I noticed several women sitting around me with strange smiles. “What a nice church” I thought. The preacher spoke about staying out of clubs and giving my hard earned money. I certainly didn’t want to hear that, meanwhile I waited to see if he was sleeping with the women or stealing. I mean, what’s so hard about being a pastor anyway?
  • When I tried to live like the list in Timothy I failed miserably.
  • When I tried to have self control I was out of control.
  • When I tried to imagine managing a family I had no idea until I had a family.
  • When I tried to not be a heavy drinker, I didn’t want to give up my single social life.
  • When I tried to be gentle, I realized I was climbing the ladder and gentleness is for chumps.
  • When I tried not being quarrelsome, I was always right anyway so why quarrel?
  • When I tried not loving money, I thought about the clothes, cars and homes I wanted and threw that out!

Being a pastor is not easy. They are scrutinized and tempted at higher levels and actually need help maintaining a list like this one. What can I do?
  • I can be faithful to my wife and not look at his.
  • I can manage my family well and not point fingers at his.
  • I can exercise self control, reduce or give up drinking, and take my judgment off of his actions.
  • I can be gentle, not quarrel, open up my home and teach people.
The only way to help my pastor out is to walk in the ways GOD dictates to him.
  • Do you have a criticism of your pastor?
  • Are you ready to throw stones at his leadership?
  • Have you tried living the life you expect him to live?
  • What is GOD saying about your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment