Tuesday, December 7, 2010

My complaints are a pain in the…

2 Thessalonians 3: 6 In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, we command you, brothers and sisters, to keep away from every believer who is idle and disruptive and does not live according to the teaching you received from us.

7 For you yourselves know how you ought to follow our example. We were not idle when we were with you, 8 nor did we eat anyone’s food without paying for it. On the contrary, we worked night and day, laboring and toiling so that we would not be a burden to any of you.

============

As I handed over the keys to the executive Volvo, I sought out on a new chapter in my life. Yes downsizing hit me too and I was without a car. After renting and sharing a car, my wife told her parents we were in need of transportation. Of course that didn’t go very well as pride hit me.

My father in law generously gave me his ten year old van and I couldn’t see his generosity, rather my “seem to be” failure. “Why is the van so big?” I thought to myself as I filled up the thirty gallon tank.

  • Complaints cause me to overlook what GOD is doing.
  • Complaints are habit forming and I get better and better at it each time I do it.
  • Complaints about how someone else “is” or “isn’t” acting like a Christian is probably the worst attitude I can have.

“Why is the sky so grey, why is it so cold, when will my ship come in?” are all complaints I thought about.  I became great at complaining and that life spilled into the church.  A self appointed sermon critic is what I had become. One wrong move and I would be ready to discredit the pastor and all that he said. BUT GOD wants me to be different.

  • GOD wants me to keep moving forward instead of “sitting idle.”
  • HE desires that I be part of the solution rather than folding my arms pointing out issues.
  • GOD wants me to encourage others rather than chasing down flaws.

Complainers can easily see the flaws in others and blindly cannot see their own issues. I should know because I could not see how my complaints were affecting my family. GOD wants me to remain positive in this sin sick, dismal world.

HE wants HIS light to shine through me and for me to show love to every human HE delivers to me. No wonder HE doesn’t want me to be idle and disruptive. By the way, years later, I am still driving that van as a reminder of GOD’s blessings and I am truly grateful for the generosity!

  • Are you sitting around “idle” complaining about life?
  • Can you stop complaining for at least one day?
  • Can you see the blessings GOD has given you?

No comments:

Post a Comment