Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Why should I give?

Hebrews 9: 7 But only the high priest entered the inner room, and that only once a year, and never without blood, which he offered for himself and for the sins the people had committed in ignorance. 8 The Holy Spirit was showing by this that the way into the Most Holy Place had not yet been disclosed as long as the first tabernacle was still functioning.

9 This is an illustration for the present time, indicating that the gifts and sacrifices being offered were not able to clear the conscience of the worshiper.

============

Kitchen clean, Check! Bathroom clean, Check! Uh, did I get all the garbage out of the house? Yes, Check! “Maybe if I’m extra nice then maybe, just maybe they won’t notice the dent I put in the car” I said to myself. I mean the accident wasn’t my fault and the guy’s motorcycle was barely damaged.

I hope this cleaning will do the trick.
  • Whether I like it or believe it GOD set a rule that requires me to die because of my sins.
  • There is no gift I can give GOD to bribe my way out of eternal separation from HIM.
  • When I think my “acts of kindness” or “donations” make me a better person then GOD takes issue with my actions.
Laws were put in place to show humans they had a fatal flaw namely a sin nature. You and I are born with this nature and birth leads to eternal death. ”How unfair is that?” I thought to myself. How can I be saved?
  • GOD is the only being who can declare anything Holy.
  • GOD became a human, allowed HIMSELF to be murdered, was raised from the dead and now lives above everything.
  • GOD did all of this just for me and because of my belief, HE declares me Holy.
So what does all of this have to do with giving?  Well imagine losing a pocket full of money and someone returning it. I would give the person something for their troubles because I’m thankful.
  • I give to GOD because I am thankful for my family and my food.
  • I give to GOD because I am thankful for my house and my health.
  • I give to GOD because I am thankful for my life and GOD’s love.
GOD actually doesn’t want my “gift” when I’m giving out of obligation or coercion. HE definitely doesn’t want it when I am trying to bribe my way out of the consequence of sin. BUT GOD loves when I sacrificially give simply because I love HIM and HIS humans. Why should I give? Because HE loved me first.
  • Do you hesitate when people mention giving?
  • Can you change your mind about giving and do it out of love rather than obligation?
  • Is there someone, who clearly has a need, you can help today?

No comments:

Post a Comment