Monday, April 29, 2013

Desperate to be a slave



Genesis 47: 25 “You have saved our lives,” they said. “May we find favor in the eyes of our lord; we will be in bondage to Pharaoh.”

============

“Incumbent” was the word I learned at the end of my college career. It meant I owed them some money and unless I came up with the cash, I would not graduate. I hadn’t done the math but I quickly figured my lack of income plus bills equals problems.

I panicked and went into the counselor’s office.  Taking out a loan was my option but I knew I needed to start paying within months of graduation. I needed a job! One company took a chance on me. I was saved. I could pay my bills.

  • When bills pile up I get nervous.
  • When cash is low I get nervous.
  • When the future seems cloudy I get nervous.


The Israelites grew desperate and sold themselves into slavery. They sold their land and themselves because of a sever famine. They were desperate.

When I get desperate, I panic and will do pretty much anything for self-preservation.  This may mean working for groups I don’t want to work with.

  • GOD understands my desperations and has taken them into account when building a plan for me.
  • GOD understands my panicked behavior and wants me to settle down enough to listen to HIM.
  • GOD understands my blindness to my situation and desires that I communicate with HIM to show my reliance on HIM.


In order for GOD to be supreme in my life I must be willing to accept HIS plan for me, the way HE designed it. This may mean some bumpy times but rather than becoming desperate HE wants me to become reliant on HIM.

  • Are you becoming desperate?
  • Do you feel panic ensuing?
  • Won’t you look to GOD for peace?
  • Can you turn you panic into helping someone else become calm by telling them about GOD’s love?

No comments:

Post a Comment