Thursday, September 4, 2014

Praise Without Expectation


2 Chronicles 5: 13 The trumpeters and musicians joined in unison to give praise and thanks to the Lord. Accompanied by trumpets, cymbals and other instruments, the singers raised their voices in praise to the Lord and sang:

“He is good;
    his love endures forever.”

Then the temple of the Lord was filled with the cloud, 14 and the priests could not perform their service because of the cloud, for the glory of the Lord filled the temple of God.

============

After the phone transferred the call to my answering machine, I could hear the bill collector leave their number. I went to church and they talked about a “cheerful giver” and “praising GOD,” so I tried it. I praised GOD and I smiled as I gave and weeks later, someone broke the window out of my car and stole my cassette tapes.

  • When I praise GOD with expectations that HE owes me something, I am trying to manipulate HIM.
  • When I give to GOD expecting more cash in return, I am trying to manipulate GOD.
  • When I sing to GOD expecting HIM to see how righteous I am, I am trying to manipulate GOD.


I realized the difference between praise and manipulation when I observed a person who had less than nothing approach me and praise GOD on a dirt road in another country. I mean, he wasn’t looking for more stuff, he only sought GOD. In fact he walked twenty miles to hear me talk about GOD and I wasn’t a pastor or a big name.

  • GOD wants me to praise HIM because HE is worthy to be praised.
  • GOD wants me to keep my praise simple and remove the expectation from my words of praise.
  • GOD wants me to enjoy my time with HIM, understanding HIS love for HIS humans.


Praise comes from the heart and if my heart is filled with doubt, fear, lust, anger, lies or thievery then my words can become tainted with “want” instead of gratitude. I must praise GOD and expect nothing in return.

  • Are you trying to get GOD to do your bidding?
  • Do you feel GOD is not answering your prayers?
  • Can you praise HIM without expecting HIM to get you out of the mess you are in?
  • Won’t you simply say “GOD YOU are great” and leave it at that?


No comments:

Post a Comment