Psalm 82: 1 God presides in the great assembly;
5 “The ‘gods’ know nothing, they understand nothing.
Surprised and elated were the feelings that arose as I received my first award in my career. I had been working for years and I was being recognized for the long hours I had put in. The next year I received another and the following years too. I had a little more prance in my strut as one of the most decorated workers in the building. I was “proud” of myself.
- When I receive too many accolades I can get proud.
- When I receive too many pats on the back I can get a big head.
- When I receive too many cheers I can become arrogant.
Prideful leaders build kingdoms and I was no exception. I could not be told that my kingdom was only temporary because I had several backers who were firmly wedged into the company so I felt secure. BUT GOD says different.
- GOD says to me “Do not think more highly of yourself” to keep me from getting arrogant.
- GOD says to me “Do not place any god above ME” especially myself.
- GOD says to me “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom” so I should never elevate myself higher than GOD, even when thinking my sin is greater than HIS grace.
“MY thoughts are not your thoughts, MY ways are not your ways” GOD says. HE has a sinless view of me and I have a sinful view of HIM. I try to build and rebuild kingdoms, meanwhile GOD laughs and says, “Unless you give it all to ME, your efforts are futile.” GOD made me in HIS likeness which gives me tremendous power. HE made Satan with tremendous power too and Satan chose pride over grace.
GOD wants me to be creative, expressive and flourishing just like HE is. HE does not want me to think that any creativity, any blessing or any security comes from me or my efforts. In all ways GOD wants me to acknowledge HIM. My legacy should point to HIM.
- Do you think you are “self-made?”
- Do you believe you are the one who is creative or talented?
- Can you acknowledge that GOD made you the way you are?
- Will you acknowledge GOD and allow HIM to take you where HE is taking you?