Jeremiah 29: 7 Also, seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I have carried you into exile. Pray to the Lord for it, because if it prospers, you too will prosper.”
11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. 14 I will be found by you,” declares the Lord, “and will bring you back from captivity.
“Instantly rich” was the temptation I fell into one time. I mean it only cost one dollar, so I bought two. Since this was my first time I sat in front of the television waiting intently. I wrote each number on the Lottery Ticket and noticed something rather peculiar. Each number was exactly one number higher or lower than the ones I chose. What are the odds?
- Money can have me bow down to it.
- Money can make me go to an extreme for it.
- Money can place me in a position where I worry about, crave it, and lose relationships over it.
GOD said “For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil” and I can see why. For years I have heard this passage of scripture in Jeremiah point to human wealth and lust fulfilment. “Prosperity is my birthright” bumper stickers paved the way to thinking GOD doesn’t mind if I am filled with greed. BUT GOD says different.
- GOD wants me to prosper financially only if it furthers HIS kingdom.
- GOD wants me to prosper financially only if I can remain in prayer to HIM.
- GOD wants me to prosper financially only if I can seek HIM with all my heart.
I missed the part where GOD wanted me to pray for peace and prosperity of the city where I was exiled. In fact I had a disdain for that city where I purchased the Lottery Tickets. I wanted out and had no prayer for anyone there. No wonder I lost two dollars. My attitude towards my neighbors will show how prosperous GOD will make me. The more they prosper because GOD blesses them, the more I will prosper.
- Are you in a tight bind?
- Does it feel like you do not have enough money?
- Can you stop focusing on money and focus on how GOD is blessing you?
- Will you allow GOD to return you from exile?
- Can you pray for your neighbors and your city, asking for peace and prosperity?