Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Want to embrace “greatness?”

Mark 12:  28 One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, “Of all the commandments, which is the most important?”
   29 “The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. 30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ 31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.”

============

Many times I have wanted that promotion or that highly visible project so I could bask in the spotlight when I achieved the goal. I loved receiving awards and I achieved a lot of them.  There is something about the spotlight that made me feel “great.”

  • GOD is not impressed with the awards I achieve rather the people I serve.
  • GOD is not concerned if I get earthly pats on the back rather HE looks at how I pat others on the back.
  • GOD is not moved when I achieve another award given by humans rather HE dotes on how I worship HIM with all my heart, soul, mind and strength.

For some reason I began looking for that great feeling each year. I wanted to receive another award and be recognized as being the greatest. BUT GOD has another definition of what great is. HE simply wants me to love.

  • Loving GOD with all my heart means getting rid of the foul thoughts my heart dreams up.
  • Loving GOD with all my soul means depending on HIM for eternal salvation.
  • Loving GOD with all my mind means guiding my intellect to follow HIM and HIS decisions.
  • Loving GOD with all my strength means giving up the fight with HIM and leveraging HIS strength to fight my battles.

To love GOD is to love other people. Any act of kindness I can show others, no matter how small, is “great” in GOD’s eyes.

  • Are you trying to achieve greatness in human terms?
  • Do you want to be recognized for your efforts?
  • Will you try filling that void in your heart by serving others today?

No comments:

Post a Comment