Thursday, March 17, 2011

I just don’t like “that” person.

1 John 2:  9 Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates a brother or sister is still in the darkness. 10 Anyone who loves their brother and sister lives in the light, and there is nothing in them to make them stumble. 11 But anyone who hates a brother or sister is in the darkness and walks around in the darkness. They do not know where they are going, because the darkness has blinded them.

============

Walking down the hallway after practice was a delight because it meant I could go home and get rest. Out of nowhere one of the football jocks appeared in front of me, balled up his fist and punched me in the chest.

You would think that wouldn’t cause much strife, but I was so skinny that I looked like the number “1.”  He actually knocked the wind out of me and I literally saw planets dance in my head has I gasped for air. You know… I really didn’t like that guy!
  • There are people in the world who want to harm me just for being me.
  • There are people in the world who don’t have my best interest in mind.
  • There are people in the world who have deep rooted issues that want to take it out on me.
Over the years the face of the bully has changed from the guy who wants to hit you to the power hungry control freak women or the politically savvy guy with the pretty face wielding a dagger behind his back. These are all bullies nonetheless. GOD wants me to treat them differently.
  • Now that I’m strong enough to fight bullies back I should be stronger and let GOD do the fighting.
  • Now that I’m strong enough to fight bullies back I should be wiser and use love as my weapon.
  • Now that I’m strong enough to fight bullies back I should be graceful because GOD is graceful to me.
It’s easy to love people who love me BUT GOD wants me to love those who actually don’t like me at all. Believe it or not, HE loves “that” person too.  I sometimes feel justified for my anger, mild dislike or hatred of enemies but GOD doesn’t look at them, HE looks at me. HE knows the people who will have no part in HIM but expects more out of me.

I can pretend to be part of GOD’s family, but if I carry around hatred for another one of HIS humans then my problem isn’t with them, it’s with GOD. Race, gender, age, class, sexual preference, or political affiliations seem to be hot beds of hatred and arguments for “easy” believe-ism. BUT GOD just wants me to show “love” so that HE can draw people to HIMSELF.
  • Do you have a problem with someone?
  • What is truly in your heart when you think of “that” person?
  • Can you focus your hear on serving that person instead of getting even?
  • Can you pray for GOD to bless “that” person and leave it at that?

No comments:

Post a Comment