Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Bragging about sin

1 Corinthians 5:Your boasting is not good. Don’t you know that a little yeast leavens the whole batch of dough? Get rid of the old yeast, so that you may be a new unleavened batch—as you really are. For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed. Therefore let us keep the Festival, not with the old bread leavened with malice and wickedness, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.

============

“They’ll never know that I took the key” I said to myself. We’ll have our fun, clean up and no one will be wise to our antics. Since I was the office clerk I had access to all the keys in the dorm. This went on for a while and soon I got sloppy and began to brag about how much fun we were having.

The news spread and soon we had too many people for our little hide away. Complaints surfaced and I had caused problems. My explanation was, “We were only trying to have a ‘little’ fun!”

  • When I’m acting opposite of GOD’s ways I want a crowd to make me feel good.
  • When I’m doing things GOD would not appreciate I want others to say I’m doing well.
  • When I’m thinking GOD won’t mind what I do I seek accolades from people involved in the same sin I’m doing.

GOD wants me to examine myself and “get rid of the old yeast” or stop trying to hang with the ways of this world.  It’s tough to go against the tide and the world is asking me to let go of things sacred to GOD.  The world wants me to be greedy, lustful, sensual, and power hungry always seeking the finer things in life.

All of the items I mentioned are like little pieces of “yeast” that rises in the dough of my soul causing me to go deeper and deeper into sin. Soon I woke up questioning GOD, questioning HIS power and I was headed down the path of questioning HIS existence. Fortunately for me, HE had a better plan than the destructive one I wanted.

  • Is there some “little” sin you are bragging about perhaps on some social network?
  • Are you telling the girls or the guys about your escapades?
  • Can you ask yourself if your actions or words are pleasing to GOD?
  • Can you back off of “that” sin at least once today for GOD?

No comments:

Post a Comment