Thursday, October 4, 2012

How to be rich and pleasing to GOD

1 Timothy 6: 17 Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. 18 Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share.
19 In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life.

============

Looking at my watch I realized I was ahead of schedule. The bus to the rental car was just about to pull off and I was the only one who made it. “Those poor saps” I thought to myself. Flying in first class had paid off!

Since I rented cars so often mine was in the front row with the keys in it ready to go. I drove twenty feet only to get in an exit line. “C’mon, I haven’t got all day” I thought to myself. Since I spent an extra five minutes in line I made it up on the freeway. “Get out of the way” was my attitude. I wonder who I saw on that trip.

  • Wealth can make me arrogant.
  • Wealth can stir up my impatience.
  • Wealth can muster up my selfishness.
  • Wealth can drive my desire to focus on me.

Clearly there is nothing wrong with being wealthy but it is wrong to have an attitude with my wealth. When I think nothing can go wrong because of the wealth I have amassed then I am gravely mistaken. Also, when I forget the reason GOD made me wealthy in the first place then I quickly focus on being “self-made” rather than having an attitude of thanksgiving.

  • Generosity takes practice and it starts when I have little.
  • Willingness to share must remain whether I have much or little.
  • Doing good deeds should be the focus on my wealth rather than getting wealthier and protecting it.

Investments and retirement are nice but GOD wants me to lay up treasure in heaven. In other words HE doesn’t want me to work “for” my salvation, HE wants me to work “because of” my salvation. HE wants me to seek out those who may have lost their way and point to HIS love no matter how wealthy I get.

  • Are you seeking wealth and power?
  • Can you be generous with your wealth right now even before you get wealthier?
  • Are you willing to share what little you have?
  • Can you do a good deed for the sole purpose of serving the living GOD?

No comments:

Post a Comment