Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Am I as blind as a Pharisee?

James 1: 26 Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless. 27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

============

“What is that church thinking” I said to a friend. I began to dissect the sermon, their intentions and even the clothes some of the people were wearing. Then I turned to look at other people the next day and began to dissect their clothes, messages and intentions.  I found them all appalling. Everyone else is wrong, right?

  • When I think “those” people are wrong them my religion is worthless to GOD.
  • When I think “my” actions are better than “those” people then my religion is worthless to GOD.
  • When I think “they” are sinners and “they” are falling away then my religion is worthless to GOD.

Quite honestly I am very disappointed with gathering as a collective group because I tend to want to exclude someone who makes me feel uncomfortable. I mean if they don’t listen to my music, dress the way I dress or think the way I think it becomes difficult and I don’t have the energy to deal with “those” people. BUT GOD did it differently.

  • JESUS ate with “those” people and wants me to do the same.
  • JESUS went to “those” people and wants me to seek them as well.
  • JESUS prayed for “those” people and wants me to have enough compassion to pray for them too.

Any time I think “those” people are doing it wrong I forget to include myself in the group. I actually fool myself and believe I am not acting like a Pharisee but in reality I am.  GOD loves HIS humans and wants me to go to “all” humans not just the ones I feel comfortable with. HE wants me to help those in need rather than hanging out in my club.

My little world has been turned upside down because GOD wants me to reduce me for HIM to save “them.”

  • Would the music, news and publications you gravitate toward offend someone who needs CHRIST?
  • Are you a catalyst to drawing many types of people to GOD or only one type?
  • Will you stop looking at “them” for a moment and look at “you” to see if you have become a Pharisee who judges “them?”

No comments:

Post a Comment