Wednesday, November 21, 2012

What I really want is my way!

James 4:You desire but do not have, so you kill. You covet but you cannot get what you want, so you quarrel and fight. You do not have because you do not ask God. When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures.

-------

7 Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 8 Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. 9 Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom. 10 Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up

============

“That sure is a nice suit” I said to my boss. I couldn’t think of anything else to say but I needed to make small talk because I wanted to get that promotion. Of course I didn’t get the promotion so I stuck my mouth out and started to act like a very deserving employee.

I ranted and threatened and do you know what… I never got promoted there.

  • My fake compliment is quickly seen through by GOD.
  • My wrong motive for whatever I desire is easily thwarted by GOD.
  • My false humility trying to act “churchy” is effortlessly noticed by GOD and HE doesn’t like it.

GOD knows exactly what’s good for me and says “NO” to me quite often. In fact I look back on some of the things I’ve wanted and I am extremely grateful I didn’t get them. Believe it or not, I am also grateful for some of the turmoil I have been put through as well.

Getting “my way” means getting my way and I really don’t want my way when I get my way. I usually end up on a path that’s really bad for me and then I can’t find “my way” out of it. GOD has a remedy.

  • HE wants me to submit “my way” to HIS way which means I can resist temptations and the Devil will leave me alone.
  • GOD wants me to take a step toward HIM first and HE will come near to me.
  • HE wants me to sincerely desire for things to be better for “that” person rather than trying to manipulate them to get “my way.”

GOD wants me to truly be humble, not false humility where other people tell me I’m humble. It means admitting I’m “still” a sinner and my plans will lead to the wrong place.

  • Are you trying to manipulate GOD by acting good or by only listening to “godly” stuff?
  • Do you think GOD can’t see through your efforts to be good for a moment and turn away from HIM when you get what you want?
  • Can you let go of that thing you desire so much and let HIM decide if it is good for you or not?
  • Won’t you back down and examine yourself and admit your stubbornness to GOD?

No comments:

Post a Comment