Monday, November 19, 2012

Cuts you like a knife!

James 3:With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God’s likeness. 10 Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be.

============

Being laughed at was the norm when I grew up.  I had messy hair, clothes with holes in them that were too short and I was skinny. Oh yes, I forgot to mention I had thick framed black glasses. If you looked up the word ridicule you would have seen my picture. I spent an enormous amount of time and money trying to fit in.

After amassing my small fortune of eight hundred dollars, I bought some clothes, glasses and joined a health club. Soon I got on the other side of ridicule.  It felt good laughing at those broke weaklings who weren’t in style!

  • My praise of GOD is faulty when I complain about other humans.
  • My praise of the FATHER is broken when I look at other humans as the problem.
  • My praise of our LORD and SAVIOR is defective when I think other humans have problems and “I’m okay.”

My tongue can be full of poison and is potentially a dangerous weapon. From slander to degradation my words can be quite harmful.  I don’t even have to be speaking directly to a person to harm them.  I can have side conversations that slam the person even when I have never met them nor understood them. GOD hears every word I say.

  • My purpose is to spread GOD’s message of love and this is tainted when I dog the person out.
  • My purpose is to show love so others will be drawn to GOD and this is spoiled when I use slander instead of praise.
  • My purpose is to sow a good message of salvation but if my attitude towards other people is bad then my message is useless.

How in the world can I love people and hate people with the same tongue? “Hate” is such a strong word, maybe I should say “dislike” or maybe use “annoyed” to make myself feel comfortable. All I know is that I am not praising that person and GOD is not excited about my words. HE wants me to be able to speak well of my friends AND my enemies.

HE wants me to be single minded and focus my tongue with love.

  • Are you complaining about “those” people or “that” person?
  • Are you engaged in conversation that is pleasing to GOD or pleasing to a specific group?
  • Can you try to tame your tongue enough to speak about the LORD to “that” person?
  • Won’t you cut off the source of your poison so that you can learn to speak well of others?

No comments:

Post a Comment