Monday, November 26, 2012

My plans mean nothing without GOD

James 4: 13 Now listen, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.” 14 Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.

15 Instead, you ought to say, “If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.”
16 As it is, you boast in your arrogant schemes. All such boasting is evil.


============

“Business plan” check… “Service to sell” check… “Business Cards” check… “Tools” check… “Customers” a few so “CHECK!” As I halfheartedly proceeded in my first business venture I began with what I thought were the right components. With baby on the way and a very demanding job, I wanted to strike it out on my own to “be there” for the family so my intentions were honorable.

Weekends were now spent away from the family and with my band of one I had no time to grow my business plus my job was sending me out of town next week. The business failed before it got started. What went wrong?

  • When I plan without GOD my plans are headed for failure.
  • Even if I have reached a level of success that is recognized by many, if the achievement was without GOD my plans are headed for failure.
  • When I look into the future and develop contingency plans to thwart catastrophe, without GOD my plans are headed for failure.

Now that I am in business again I recognize something very important, GOD has the ability and the right to say “NO” or “not at all” to my plans. I could have, what I think are the best intentions but when I have not accepted the fact that my plans may not be aligned with GOD’s plans then I am prone to pout “when” they fail.

  • GOD has a plan for me that is complex, purposeful and perfect.
  • GOD’s plan will always be done; my plan can be done more if aligned with GOD’s plan.
  • GOD knows the future of my plan and its success hinges on my dependence on HIM.

Saying “if it is the LORD’s will” means I am willing to accept “NO” for an answer. I am not rolling over and dying and preparing for a crash and burn blamed on the LORD rather my eyes are wide open to the fact that GOD has all I own. I can’t protect my family, stuff or business. GOD owns it all and has a right to do with it as HE pleases.

  • Do you believe your abilities came from you?
  • Do you have plans for yourself, thinking you can control your situation?
  • Won’t you start your next plan by asking GOD what HE wants to do?
  • Can you stop bragging about “your” accomplishments and credit them to GOD?

No comments:

Post a Comment