Matthew 14: 22 Immediately Jesus made the disciples get into the boat and go on ahead of him to the other side, while he dismissed the crowd. 23 After he had dismissed them, he went up on a mountainside by himself to pray. Later that night, he was there alone, 24 and the boat was already a considerable distance from land, buffeted by the waves because the wind was against it.
Rock music blasted on one side, rap on the other. I could not concentrate with all of the noise so I slipped away to a quiet location to study. With no distractions, I could comprehend more.
- Sometimes I needed to get away from the distractions.
- Sometimes I needed to get away from the noise.
- Sometimes I needed to get away from everyone around me so I could concentrate.
Concentration sometimes requires solitude in a peaceful setting. JESUS chose a mountainside. My guess is that HE could see the people HE created and pray for them. HE needed total concentration so HE slipped away from the crowds often to pray.
- GOD wants me to slip away from people in order to have concentrated prayer.
- GOD wants me to sometimes have quick prayer and other times deep concentrated prayer.
- GOD wants me to dismiss the crowd, go to a place and pray for those around me.
There is no definition for “real” prayer. I mean sometimes I can only say a few words “Help me LORD” and other times I can feel praise while other times I can feel deep empathy. GOD wants me to take time to communicate with HIM on a regular basis. Slipping away to talk to HIM about anything definitely clears my heart.
- Are you flooded with thoughts?
- Is it very noisy around you?
- Can you slip away to a quiet place so you can concentrate on the LORD?