Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Ownership

Matthew 13: 47 “Once again, the kingdom of heaven is like a net that was let down into the lake and caught all kinds of fish. 48 When it was full, the fishermen pulled it up on the shore. Then they sat down and collected the good fish in baskets, but threw the bad away. 49 This is how it will be at the end of the age. The angels will come and separate the wicked from the righteous 50 and throw them into the blazing furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

51 “Have you understood all these things?” Jesus asked.

“Yes,” they replied.

52 He said to them, “Therefore every teacher of the law who has become a disciple in the kingdom of heaven is like the owner of a house who brings out of his storeroom new treasures as well as old.”

============

“Step on it” my passenger said to me on a dirty, gravely, tar filled, construction zone road.. I replied, “I don’t want to kick up too many rocks.” I was surprised by the reply. “It’s a rental, who cares what happens to it!” Hmmm, I thought. I spun the tires!

  • When it’s not mine, I don’t care what happens to it.
  • When it’s not mine, I treat it like it is someone else’s problem.
  • When it’s not mine, I could care less about the condition I leave it in after I use it.


From cars to apartments to houses, if I don’t own it, I do not care what happens to it. I may even have a title or a deed, but not “own” the thing in the way I treat it. Same with people, if I do not take responsibility for those around me, then I could care less for what happens to them.

  • GOD says to me “Help MY people get into the net.”
  • GOD says to me “Help MY people understand MY kingdom.”
  • GOD says to me “Help MY confused sheep follow MY voice.”


Ownership in this parable points to the kingdom. The teacher is responsible for speaking about CHRIST as the new covenant, but upholds the laws of the Old Testament. Owning GOD’s word means I see things as “us” versus “them.” “We have sinned” not just me.

GOD wants me to take ownership of HIS people so I can tend to them with care.

  • Are you looking at GOD selfishly?
  • Do you refuse to pray for “that” person?”
  • Can you include more people in your care and provide for them “new treasures” as well as old?




No comments:

Post a Comment