Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Rules to Support the Rules

Matthew 15: Then some Pharisees and teachers of the law came to Jesus from Jerusalem and asked, “Why do your disciples break the tradition of the elders? They don’t wash their hands before they eat!”

Jesus replied, “And why do you break the command of God for the sake of your tradition? For God said, ‘Honor your father and mother’ and ‘Anyone who curses their father or mother is to be put to death.’But you say that if anyone declares that what might have been used to help their father or mother is ‘devoted to God,’ they are not to ‘honor their father or mother’ with it. Thus you nullify the word of God for the sake of your tradition. You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you:

“‘These people honor me with their lips,
    but their hearts are far from me.

They worship me in vain;
    their teachings are merely human rules.’”

============

“Wear a suit to church” was the statement given to me. I actually did not understand why. I mean it was July and I had layers upon layers of clothes on. I asked, “Why do I need to put on this suit?” “Because you have to give GOD your best!” was the reply. I went to church, frowning and hot, but I looked good.

  • Many times I followed human traditions.
  • Many times I thought human traditions were GOD’s rules.
  • Many times I made up rules to support GOD’s rules.


At first I thought making up rules to support GOD’s rules was a good idea. I rationalized “suit wearing” and started to make others do the same. Then one day I went out into the neighborhood and invited people to church. “I don’t have anything to wear” was the person’s issue. I have never worn a suit to church again.

  • GOD sees my rules as a barrier to HIS Word.
  • GOD does not want me to add a “jot” or a “tittle” to HIS word.
  • GOD recognizes when I am following tradition versus following HIS guidance.


Meet on Saturday. Meet on Sunday. Sing three sings. Sing four songs. Dress up. Celebrate church anniversaries. Celebrate calendar holidays. Wear a cross. Don’t wear a cross.

After a while I forgot the primary message “Believe in the SON and you will be saved.” My traditions are quite dangerous. Divisive tones and exclusion are the undetermined side effects of my innocent rule making. GOD simply wants me to follow HIM.

  • Are you making up rules to support GOD’s rules?
  • Do you follow rules and traditions that are not in the Bible?
  • Can you assess the effort you are making to support human rules and give your life to following GOD’s guidance?


No comments:

Post a Comment