Matthew 14: 25 Shortly before dawn Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. 26 When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. “It’s a ghost,” they said, and cried out in fear.
27 But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.”
My mind raced as I heard a noise. I paused to perk my ears like a rabbit tracking a predator. “What or even worse, who is that?” I cringed in terror. This went on for an eternal two minutes! “Hi, just checking in to see how you are doing” was the statement from my boss. I was not expecting him. My trapped feeling went away.
- Sometimes my mind conjures up the worst that could happen.
- Sometimes my mind thinks of pain and problem when facing the unknown.
- Sometimes my mind magnifies the figment of my imagination to be something bigger than it is.
Seeing a figure come out of the dark must have scared the wits out of the disciples. I mean no one had ever walked on water before so it must have been a ghost was their logic. I concur. I would have been scared too. They were not able to run or get away so the “trapped” feeling magnified their fears. I feel like that sometimes. BUT GOD wants me to fee different.
- GOD wants me to expect HIS miracles in ways I will never understand.
- GOD wants me to know HE can do anything so I need to watch for the peculiar and the norm.
- GOD wants me to “Take courage” for it is HE who calms the situation.
“Don’t be afraid” was JESUS’s calming words and HE says this to me when I get scared. HE wants me to focus on the miracle, not the problem, so I can praise HIM. Feeling trapped and scared blinds me. GOD wants me to slow down to see HIS might.
- Are you feeling trapped?
- Are you afraid?
- Can you slow down and look for GOD in the situation so HE can show you HIS miracle?