Matthew 15: 10 Jesus called the crowd to him and said, “Listen and understand. 11 What goes into someone’s mouth does not defile them, but what comes out of their mouth, that is what defiles them.”
Wanting to fit in, I started using foul language. I did it wrong at first, but like a fine wine, over time I got better. Now that I had the crowds laughing, it was time to graduate to lewd comments about people. Soon after that, I moved on to body part discussions. “Now I fit in! But to what end?”
- Fitting in feels great only for a moment.
- Fitting in dullens my senses.
- Fitting in causes me to do like the crowd, act like the crowd and please the crowd.
I then placed complaints on my cursing, foul tongue and topped it off with slander. Now it was complete. I was no longer a witness for GOD, but I had a nice sized crowd! Blame, bragging and criticism were soon to follow. BUT GOD wanted me to act differently.
- GOD wants me to encourage versus curse.
- GOD wants me to praise versus complain.
- GOD wants me to teach versus rip apart.
When I cleaned up my mouth, I lost a lot of “friends.” Soon I was encouraging people and speaking peace in folks lives. GOD delivered more and more to me. My crowd grew and I did not have to please them, GOD did.
- Are you trying to make yourself look good by slandering someone else?
- Do you use foul or suggestive language so you can fit in with the crowd?
- Can you stop your filth and change your words to praise GOD and HIS people?