Wednesday, June 1, 2011

My heart could use a good scrubbing.

Matthew 12: 35 A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him. 36 But I tell you that everyone will have to give account on the day of judgment for every empty word they have spoken. 37 For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned.”

============

“I’ll call you,” or “I’ll pray for you,” or “I’m not judging you” or “I wasn’t speeding was I?” are just a few examples of “empty” words I have used to either flatter someone or get them off my back. How many empty words have I used to get my way, probably countless.

  • Empty words come out of my mouth when I’m trying to get into trouble.
  • Empty words come out of my mouth when I’m trying to avoid GOD.
  • Empty words come out of my mouth when I’m trying to sin without consequences.

I have said to GOD, “I’ll never do THAT again” and a day, week or month later found myself doing exactly “THAT.” Flattering, flirtatious or foul have been the types of words that have crossed my lips because that was what I was storing in my heart.

  • Peace should come out of my heart instead of “winning this time.”
  • Grace should come out of my heart instead of “being right this time.”
  • Mercy should come out of my heart instead of “imposing my form of justice.”
  • Kindness should come out of my heart instead of “pointing out who is lazy.”

It really does take practice to show “love” to those who really could care less if I did it or not. Serving apathetic or coarse or judgmental people can be challenging, BUT GOD wants me to use HIS words that are full of life instead of my empty words that are full of condemnation.

  • Are you using empty words?
  • Have you used any of GOD’s words to encourage someone?
  • Are you still using foul, filthy, flirtatious filters on your words?
  • Can you place GOD in your heart today and speak about what HE wants you to?

No comments:

Post a Comment