Wednesday, October 26, 2011

I’m the “best” at being humble!

John 7: 18 Whoever speaks on their own does so to gain personal glory, but he who seeks the glory of the one who sent him is a man of truth; there is nothing false about him.

============

After winning a number of awards and honors I guess I became addicted to the accolades. I wanted another trophy, plaque or cup that symbolized I was performing above my peers so I deserved to be recognized. Soon my vocabulary turned into a constant progress report of what “I” was accomplishing. “I was good at that.” There I go again!
  • When I seek the approval of humans instead of seeking GOD’s approval I fail.
  • When I openly or covertly brag about my accomplishments instead of pointing to GOD I fail.
  • When I try to please those who do not understand GOD’s ways I sin.
This is my theory, I believe there is a sin GOD despises more than any and that is “pride.” I’m not saying that I should not be proud of the accomplishments of others or in my workmanship rather, I should not be plodding through life trying to make “me” look so good. Instead of seeking “personal glory” I should be looking for something else.
  • Personal glory can sometimes make me stretch the truth about me, GOD’s glory always show the “truth.”
  • Personal glory can sometimes take the focus off of GOD and onto me; GOD’s glory always points others to HIM.
  • Personal glory can sometimes blind me to the good others are doing, GOD’s glory makes me appreciate others.
Satan was also a good braggart. He was so good at what he did that he thought he could actually be GOD. There was no humility in him. GOD doesn’t want me to fall into that same trap. I should never think more highly of myself, rather praise the one who saved me, namely JESUS who is the CHRIST.

When I put the focus on HIS accomplishments, I can’t go wrong.
  • Are you trying to be heard by the masses?
  • Do you have a yearning to be recognized by your peers or superiors?
  • Can you do what you do strictly for GOD without wanting human recognition?
  • Will you honestly seek HIS ways instead of yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment