Friday, February 9, 2018

Expectations


Mark 11: 12 Now the next day, when they had come out from Bethany, He was hungry. 13 And seeing from afar a fig tree having leaves, He went to see if perhaps He would find something on it. When He came to it, He found nothing but leaves, for it was not the season for figs. 14 In response Jesus said to it, “Let no one eat fruit from you ever again.”
And His disciples heard it.

============

After the orientation I had to sign a form. Looking back I signed it without reading what was on it. “You must be able to lift stuff and do stuff” is all I remember. Weeks later someone got fired for not performing their duties. There was a meeting before we punched out for the evening restating what we were supposed to be doing.

  • Sometimes I am expected to do things.
  • Sometimes I am entrusted with things to do.
  • Sometimes I am given responsibilities that I need to carry out.


JESUS expected fruit but did not see it. HE cursed the tree and the disciples overheard the conversation between HIM and the tree. JESUS must have had an expectation.

  • JESUS expects me to grow at some point.
  • JESUS expects me to follow HIM since HE made me for HIS purpose.
  • JESUS expects me to not just sit there and draw attention.


This passage is about expectations. Later JESUS will explain what it means, but for now JESUS’s actions were quite shocking. It wasn’t the season for figs so why was there an expectation figs would be there? JESUS could see that the tree from far off with leaves inviting HIM over. I am no botanist but the Maker of the tree expected it to have something and HIS expectations were not met.

  • Are you maturing in CHRIST?
  • Do you think just attending church is bearing fruit?
  • Can you ask GOD to help you bear fruit today?


No comments:

Post a Comment