Friday, February 23, 2018

Servant Leadership


Mark 12: 38 Then He said to them in His teaching, “Beware of the scribes, who desire to go around in long robes, love greetings in the marketplaces,39 the best seats in the synagogues, and the best places at feasts, 40 who devour widows’ houses, and for a pretense make long prayers. These will receive greater condemnation.”

============

“Keep this confidential” they said as they handed me tickets to the island. All expenses were paid as a perk for doing such a good job leading a large team. “I could get used to this” I thought to myself.

  • There have been times when I had the best.
  • There have been times when my title made me feel like something special.
  • There have been times when wanting first class upgrades seemed innocent.


Long robes, long titles and long prayers were not the problems JESUS was pointing out. HE was addressing a deeper problem, namely desire. The church leaders JESUS was talking to desired to be called by a title and have a wonderful office in the building they were trying to protect. This was theirs and annual celebrations would be bigger than any celebration of GOD.

  • JESUS says to me “I want you to feed MY lambs.”
  • JESUS says to me “I want you to tend MY sheep.”
  • JESUS says to me “I want you to feed MY sheep.”


GOD’s concern is for everyone and HE needs some to serve others. The greater responsibility is to serve, not to be served. Not everyone is called to serve, but for those HE calls HE wants them to serve as HE served. GOD wants me to be a servant leader.

  • Are you mad at GOD when the rich and powerful seem to get their way?
  • Do you want your way to be in a “better” place?
  • Can you ask GOD how HE wants you to serve others today?

No comments:

Post a Comment