Friday, April 13, 2018

Drive and Determination


Mark 16: Now when the Sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome bought spices, that they might come and anoint Him. Very early in the morning, on the first day of the week, they came to the tomb when the sun had risen. And they said among themselves, “Who will roll away the stone from the door of the tomb for us?” But when they looked up, they saw that the stone had been rolled away—for it was very large. And entering the tomb, they saw a young man clothed in a long white robe sitting on the right side; and they were alarmed.

============

Ignoring all the rules, I noticed one person rise to the top. He pushed at people and ignored what they did and who they were. “Maybe I should be pushy so I can get ahead” I thought to myself.

  • There were times when I wanted to be the one who pushed people around.
  • There were times when I wanted to be on top.
  • There were times when I wanted to “do what it takes” to be perceived as strong.


When everyone who followed JESUS was in hiding, two Mary’s were still plotting how to serve HIM one last time. They had no tomb to give HIM so they wanted to do something special for HIM even though HE was dead.

On Saturday the two Mary’s began their plan by buying the best spices they could. On Sunday, at the crack of dawn, they put their plan into action, but they ran into a snag. “Who will roll away the stone?” They did not know it was already taken care of for them.

  • JESUS wants me to have drive to follow HIM especially when it seems like HE is silent.
  • JESUS wants me to have determination to serve HIM even when it feels hopeless.
  • JESUS wants me to have fortitude to continue especially when life puts huge stones in front of me.


Gentleness instead of pushiness is a great way to demonstrate determination. The two Mary’s, while determined, did not plot to hurt people in the process of serving GOD, Their plan took drive that only came from GOD and they would not stop until they did what they sought out to do. I appreciate their gentle example.

  • Are you willing to give up when GOD wants you to continue?
  • Do you think drive and determination looks like pushiness?
  • Can you change your perspective of drive and determination to add faith and fortitude to continue in the plan GOD has for you?


No comments:

Post a Comment