Monday, April 9, 2018

Forsaken


Mark 15: 33 Now when the sixth hour had come, there was darkness over the whole land until the ninth hour. 34 And at the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, “Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?” which is translated, “My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?”

35 Some of those who stood by, when they heard that, said, “Look, He is calling for Elijah!” 36 Then someone ran and filled a sponge full of sour wine, put it on a reed, and offered it to Him to drink, saying, “Let Him alone; let us see if Elijah will come to take Him down.”

37 And Jesus cried out with a loud voice, and breathed His last.

============

After a very bad day, I left work to catch the train. It was raining and I wasn’t dressed properly. At least the train ride wouldn’t be long because I parked in my “free” location. When I arrived at my car I noticed a dent the shape of the end of a baseball bat. I guess my observation skills were slow as I also saw my windows were attacked. “Why is this happening?!” I cried out.

  • There were times when I had some very bad days.
  • There were times when I wanted to just scream.
  • There were times when it felt like nothing was going right.


After a strange and mysterious darkness, JESUS says something similar to my cry. “MY GOD MY GOD, why have YOU forsaken ME?” This cry of anguish could only come from a human experiencing a great deal of stress. But this was no ordinary human.

  • JESUS saw it was no gain to be GOD and decided to suffer and die so I would not have to.
  • JESUS knows what it feels like to be misunderstood and blamed for HIS existence.
  • JESUS can empathize, sympathize and rationalize all of the feelings I have because HE felt the same way.


Half way listening, the crowd thought JESUS was crying out to Elijah instead of hearing HIS empathetic anguish. They had no idea what GOD was doing on the cross. Sometimes I have no idea what HE is doing too. When I scream out “Why?!” I want whatever pain I’m going through to end right away.

JESUS knows what I am going through, just like the FATHER knew what JESUS would have to go through. This permanent transformation to humanity included a special relationship change between the FATHER and JESUS. Now JESUS would be the only human that fully understands the power of GOD, because HE IS GOD. HE can forgive me because HE knows what I go through.

  • Are you crying out to GOD?
  • Do you feel forsaken?
  • Will you give your anguish to GOD today and allow HIM to give you peace HIS way?

No comments:

Post a Comment