Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Immediate Fame


Mark 15: 21 Then they compelled a certain man, Simon a Cyrenian, the father of Alexander and Rufus, as he was coming out of the country and passing by, to bear His cross.

============

Sitting alphabetically was not in my favor this time. I wound up sitting around a couple of people who actually were doing the stuff to get my teacher’s attention, not in a good way. My teacher must have noticed something going on this particular day as she summoned me to her desk. Not knowing if I were in trouble or not, I walked timidly to her realm. “Go to the office…” I got nervous. “And get the movie projector.” I was relieved!

  • Once I was chosen because of what bullies were doing.
  • This one time I was chosen because the bullies were rowdy and I just happened to be there.
  • One time I was chosen to do work but it did not seem like work because I was chosen.


Compelled is such a nice word that was used to describe the bullying from the soldiers. A Cyrenian named Simon just happened to be at the wrong place at the right time. He was forced to serve the Living GOD by carrying HIS cross. The guards were totally unaware that their actions would make this family famous.

  • GOD tells me to “Take up my cross daily.”
  • GOD says to me “Bear one another’s cross.”
  • GOD implores me to “Love one another, just as I have loved you.”


The cross represents a painful execution method in this passage, however it means something else daily. GOD wants me to not only have sympathy, but empathy as I go through the pain of life “with” people.

Simon’s immediate fame was ordained by GOD. While the long walk was painful, embarrassing and degrading to Simon’s character, he would now be mentioned as being part of the Great News about CHRIST! GOD wants me to have a part in this as well. Through my circumstances HE adds my reward that HE will give me in heaven.

  • Are you going through something difficult?
  • Does it look like the bullies have forced you to do something degrading?
  • Does it seem hopeless at times?
  • Can you allow GOD to use this situation for HIS purpose?


No comments:

Post a Comment