Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Mistreated Strength


Luke 6: 27 “But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also. If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

============

Feeling helpless, I went to the nearest person and began grousing about the mistreatment I just experienced. My emotions went from being mild irritated to rage as I recalled the story. “How dare they!” were my words as I replayed the scenario over and over.

  • There have been times when people have gotten on my nerves.
  • There have been times when I have been enraged by people who have mistreated me.
  • There have been times when I have felt helpless because of someone else’s “meanness.”


JESUS said some strange words to those who learned “revenge” as a biblical practice from their childhood. “An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth” seemed quite fair to everyone in the Law of Moses. BUT JESUS said to act differently.

  • JESUS wants me to seek restoration versus revenge.
  • JESUS wants me to seek being a witness as opposed to being right.
  • JESUS wants me to seek peace instead of pain.


There is nothing fair about giving a thief extra stuff for them to steal. When someone mistreats me, I get furious at being powerless. BUT GOD has a remedy for that feeling. HE wants me to have HIS strength in the middle of being mistreated. By giving myself permission to love my enemies, they have no power over me.

In fact the more I love those who mistreat me, the more compassion fills my heart versus poison. I no longer replay the moments that bring on disgust, rather I can actually pray for them to have a wonderful relationship with JESUS, who brings peace to those who love HIM. JESUS puts me above the situation by adding HIS love.

  • Are you furious at someone?
  • Did someone treat you wrong?
  • Can you diffuse the situation by loving the person as GOD loves you?


No comments:

Post a Comment