Friday, August 28, 2026

Addressing Fear

Addressing Fear

Exodus 23: 27 “I will send My fear before you, I will cause confusion among all the people to whom you come, and will make all your enemies turn their backs to you. 28 And I will send hornets before you, which shall drive out the Hivite, the Canaanite, and the Hittite from before you. 29 I will not drive them out from before you in one year, lest the land become desolate and the beasts of the field become too numerous for you. 30 Little by little I will drive them out from before you, until you have increased, and you inherit the land. 31 And I will set your bounds from the Red Sea to the sea, Philistia, and from the desert to the River. For I will deliver the inhabitants of the land into your hand, and you shall drive them out before you. 32 You shall make no covenant with them, nor with their gods. 33 They shall not dwell in your land, lest they make you sin against Me. For if you serve their gods, it will surely be a snare to you.”

 

============

 

GOD continued speaking to Moses. This time HE addressed fear.

 

My Observations:

  • GOD knew the people feared the numerous groups of people who inhabited the promise land.
  • GOD’s reputation of destroying Sodom and dismantling the Egyptian ways were not enough for the children of Israel.
  • GOD would use something small, yet powerful to drive out their enemies, namely hornets.

 

Fear, confusion and hornets would be the weapons GOD would use to drive out the people. HE could have killed those who oppose HIS way, BUT GOD acts graciously. HE allowed them to live, but HE would drive them out. This promise would be forgotten by the children of Israel.

 

When they finally were ready to take the promised land, they would forget that the LORD would do the fighting. We do the same. When something seems large and daunting, we feel GOD cannot handle it. GOD used very small things to address the big things.

 

Strong armies were no match for hornets. HE would drive them out little by little. I believe GOD does the same for you and me. HE drives away the large problem, little by little until it is gone. Then HIS large promise can easily be fulfilled.

 

Challenge

  • Why does GOD remind Moses about HIS promise?
  • Has GOD put you in a situation where you have to depend on HIM clearing the way first?
  • Can you address your fear by watching GOD work out the large promise HE made to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment