Monday, October 14, 2013

Should I treat everyone the same?

Deuteronomy 10: 17 The Lord your God is the greatest God of all. He is the greatest Lord of all. He is the great God. He is mighty and wonderful. He treats everyone the same. He doesn’t accept any money from those who want special favors. 18 He stands up for widows and for children whose fathers have died. He loves outsiders. He gives them food and clothes.19 So you also must love outsiders. Remember that you yourselves were outsiders in Egypt.

============

“Aw man, here comes that dude who talks to himself all the time” I said to myself.  I was on my way into the church and I felt as if I was running late. “Don’t make eye contact, don’t make eye contact, aw man he saw me looking at him” was my dismal thought. He darted over to me and began his rants. Something within me said “invite him in and have him sit in your class.”

What?! He disrupted everything just as I thought. Afterward, he said “I learned a lot and I want to go to this church.”  I felt foolish.

  • When I treat someone different I may miss out on helping someone in need.
  • When I look down on someone I may be mistreating an angel GOD has sent.
  • When I remain in my comfort zone I may be leaving others in a broken state.


GOD is the greatest GOD of all! HE is the greatest LORD of all! HE is “THE” great GOD, yet with all of HIS might and wonder, chooses to treat me the same as everyone else, with love. HE never views HIS position as a problem. In other words HE isn’t too high that HE can’t help those who are low.

  • GOD wants me to respect HIM by treating HIS creations with respect.
  • GOD wants me to serve others higher than I serve myself.
  • GOD wants me to love outsiders because I was once an outsider.


I remember desiring to be in the “in” crowd yet when I got there it felt exclusionary and condescending. GOD wants me to serve those who are thrown away and forgotten so they can feel HIS love just as I did.

  • Are you complaining about someone or some group?
  • Have you prayed for the LORD to bless them instead of complaining about them?
  • Can you stop for a moment to listen to GOD and serve the person you are least likely to serve today?
  • Won’t you treat others with compassion today?


No comments:

Post a Comment