Tuesday, August 3, 2021

For the Good of All

For the Good of All

1 Corinthians 10: 27 If an unbeliever invites you to a meal and you decide to go, eat what is set before you, without asking any questions because of your conscience. 28 But if someone tells you, “This food was offered to idols,” then do not eat that food, for the sake of the one who told you and for conscience' sake— 29 that is, not your own conscience, but the other person's conscience.

 

“Well, then,” someone asks, “why should my freedom to act be limited by another person's conscience? 30 If I thank God for my food, why should anyone criticize me about food for which I give thanks?”

 

31 Well, whatever you do, whether you eat or drink, do it all for God's glory. 32 Live in such a way as to cause no trouble either to Jews or Gentiles or to the church of God. 33 Just do as I do; I try to please everyone in all that I do, not thinking of my own good, but of the good of all, so that they might be saved.

 

============

 

“There is no ‘I’ in team” was a cliché thrown out at us from a boss. We giggled and someone replied, “But there is in ‘win!’” We went our individual ways trying to implement solutions each had come up with, and none of them stuck. We failed as a team.

 

  • There have been many times when “I” did things on my own and received accolades for myself but not others..
  • There have been many times when “I” tried to do what “I” felt was right but failed as a group.
  • There have been many times when “I” thought of a solution from “my” point of view and presented it, only to receive resistance.

 

Paul goes into a difficult subject, namely relationships. He presents it from a perspective that, whether dealing with a person who believes in JESUS or not, think what is best for that person.

 

  • GOD wants me to see people as HIS creation.
  • GOD wants me to think of others so they might be saved.
  • GOD wants me to put aside “me” so I can be with “them” to see “HIM.”

 

Seeing people is important. I mean, when I go “my” way, it is easy to not see people. I may be busy or getting beat up in the alley, but no one would know what is going on without unity. Thinking of “the good of all” means I bring the hope of GOD into a relationship without clobbering the relationship.

 

Yes, eternity is extremely important, but it takes time. You may say, but there is a sense of urgency that is needed. But the urgency needs to be tempered with the raw ingredients baked at the right temperature so the meal is not deadly, but can be eaten. I am grateful for all those who are in my life.

 

  • Are you developing individual solutions, expecting others to follow “you?”
  • Do you think “you” know what is best for “that” person?
  • Will you think of solutions to bring people to GOD by being with “them” versus against them today?

No comments:

Post a Comment